Home » Tips for Finding the Right Mindset for Creating Art?

Tips for Finding the Right Mindset for Creating Art?

Being an artist takes a certain mindset to be able to create art.  

1. You are an artist!: I knew I wanted to be an artist but it wasn’t until a few years ago when I first called myself an artist. Believe in your art. If you don’t take yourself and your artwork seriously, no one will!

2. Have confidence in your work: Have confidence in your work! Your art is great and it represents you. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. I once had former teachers tell me that doing art through photoshop and creating it digitally isn’t enough. Though I was told that years ago, it stayed with me. Those words gave me the drive and passion to research PODS and start my by business.

3. Focus on your art!: Just go for it, create for you! Don’t worry if others don’t like your work. That’s normal. Artists need thick skin to deal with the negative comments and the haters. Don’t sit and wonder if your art will be liked or if people will buy it. That’s normal too!   Everyone has a different idea of what art is, you create for you!  

4. Don’t get emotionally invested: Okay just hear me out. Yes, you need emotions and feelings to create art in the first place. If art had no emotion it would be boring…. but those times when haters tear you down. Ignore it. Move on. So what, not everyone will like your art. However, on the other hand, some will love your work!

5. Be Proud of Your Work: You created something great, but you doubt it. That’s a normal feeling. Artists are hard on themselves and their work. You might not like it now but save it. You will want it one day. I sure wish that I had kept my old work, sketches, notes.

6. Share your Work: Start sharing your work on social media, get it out there. You could even start with a small private account just for friends and family. As you get more confident and get positive feedback, make your account public for the world to see!

7. A Creative Mind: This one seems obvious but sometimes you just need to use it! Everyone was born with the ability to create.

“Every child is an artist, the problem is how to remain one when we grow up” – Pablo Picasso

8. Don’t Compare Yourself to Others: Every artist has a different journey. Some artists get popular overnight while others struggle to gain a small following. Each artist has a different way of doing things and different definitions of what success is.

9. Don’t forget about your art: Continue to create art, finding inspiration, learning/trying new techniques. Create for yourself first! It’s your art, tell your story with it!

10. Create work that you are passionate about: My work might be random but each theme has a meaning to me. I’m an animal lover. I love music! I’m also big on the mental health issue and how it’s overlooked. 90% of the quotes in my collection have something to do with having a positive outlook on life. The other 10% are quotes from favorite media or trends.

“If I create from the heart, nearly everything works: if from the head, almost nothing.” ~ Marc Chagall  

Thank you for reading!

-Abby (Purelifephotoss)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.